Re: Still don't know how to build this string ?

From: Michael Fork <mfork(at)toledolink(dot)com>
To: juerg(dot)rietmann(at)pup(dot)ch
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still don't know how to build this string ?
Date: 2001-03-26 14:49:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

The following function will convert a given list into a comma delimited
string (the argument should be the typ):

CREATE FUNCTION dima_list(int4) RETURNS text AS '
DECLARE
rec record;
list text;
BEGIN
list := '''';
FOR rec IN SELECT diam FROM zylinder WHERE typ = $1
list := list || rec.diam || ''; ''
END LOOP;
RETURN list;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Note that PL/PGSQL must be installed first, which can be done by typing

createlang plpgsql

at a shell prompt as a postgres super user.

Michael Fork - CCNA - MCP - A+
Network Support - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio