Re: Can't access a table. It seems to have been corrupted hsomehow

From: Tulassay Zsolt <zsolt(at)tek(dot)bke(dot)hu>
To: Robert Chalmers <robert(at)chalmers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't access a table. It seems to have been corrupted hsomehow
Date: 2000-04-01 11:00:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> I have a database with a group of tables in it.
>
> One of the tables seems to have been modified somehow, and no - although I
> can see it with \d I can't actually do anyting to it. Any action, like
> rename, insert, drop gives a message "table doesn't exist". If I try to jsut
> creat it again, it says "can't do that, it already exists!" (words to that
> effect)
>
> So - does it exist or not? How do I actually get rid of that particular
> table all together without destroying the whole database?

I had the same problem a few days ago. The table file on disk has
disappeared somehow, and i couldn't DROP the table. The only way I found
is to copy a file from another table with the same fields to this
table's name (look into you database directory). After that I was able
to DROP the table.
But actually I have no idea how that file got deleted. Anybody?

Thanks,
Zsolt