Re: How to Sponsor a Feature

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to Sponsor a Feature
Date: 2008-06-11 22:13:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> If we want to help people to sponsor features, then I think we need to
> deal with subjects like finding someone to undertake the development,
> the sponsor's relationship with the developer, methods and times of
> payment, etc.

The bit on the wiki is helpful for developers trying to get a new feature
implemented but I think that's where its scope ends.

There seem to be occasional person wandering by here that it really
doesn't help though. Periodically you'll see "I want feature $X in
PostgreSQL. I'm willing to help fund it. What do I do?". In most of
those that have wandered by recently, $X is a known feature any number of
other people want. Good sample cases here are recent requests to help
fund or implement materialized views, supporting queries on read-only
slaves, and SQL window support.

I don't think these people need guidance on how to manage the project,
they need some sort of way to feel comfortable saying "will pledge $Y for
feature $X" in a way that makes sense on both sides.