Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool
Date: 2007-06-20 06:45:27
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-performance

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> I think what would be much more useful in the long run is some serious
> study of the parameters themselves. For instance, random_page_cost is a
> self-admitted oversimplification of reality.

If I could figure out who would sponsor such a study that's what I'd be
doing right now. I have studies on many of the commit-related parameters
I'll have ready in another few days, those are straightforward to map out.
But you know what I have never found? A good benchmark that demonstrates
how well complicated queries perform to run studies on things like
random_page_cost against. Many of the tuning knobs on the query optimizer
seem very opaque to me so far, and I'm not sure how to put together a
proper test to illuminate their operation and map out their useful range.

Here's an example of one of the simplest questions in this area to
demonstate things I wonder about. Let's say I have a properly indexed
database of some moderate size such that you're in big trouble if you do a
sequential scan. How can I tell if effective_cache_size is in the right
ballpark so it will do what I want to effectively navigate that? People
back into a setting for that parameter right now based on memory in their
system, but I never see anybody going "since your main table is X GB
large, and its index is Y GB, you really need enough memory to set
effective_cache_size to Z GB if you want queries/joins on that table to
perform well".