Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Volunteer to build a configuration tool
Date: 2007-06-20 05:43:50
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-performance

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Mike Benoit wrote:
>> I don't think something like this would be very difficult at all to
>> write

> Here I just smile and say that proves you've never tried to write one :)

I'm with Greg on this. It's not that easy to optimize in a
multi-parameter space even if all conditions are favorable, and they
never are.

I think what would be much more useful in the long run is some
serious study of the parameters themselves. For instance,
random_page_cost is a self-admitted oversimplification of reality.
We know that good settings for it depend critically on how large
your DB is relative to your RAM; which means there are at least two
parameters there, but no one's done any serious thinking about how
to disentangle 'em.