Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem
Date: 1998-08-23 19:52:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:17:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
> To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)online-club(dot)de>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem
>
> > On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 07:06:43PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Just a quick question. Are people doing a make clean when updating via
> > > cvs. My patch changed lots of system tables.
> >
> > Yes, I do.
>
> OK, it appears people are still having initdb problems after my patch.
> I have received several reports of problems. Someone reported a
> regression test problem with contraints.sql. I could reproduce it here,
> and fixed it.
>
> The other problems with initdb itself are more difficult. People seem
> to have a variety of initdb failures, and I am at a loss to find a
> cause.
>
> I realize this is a major problem, and I want to fix it as soon as I
> can. I am running BSDI under Intel, and everything works fine, so I am
> really confused.
>
> First, people have to do a 'make clean', 'make', and 'initdb' after my
> patch, but people are already doing that.

Yes, I did this.

> Keith Parks <emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> reported problems right away, and
> I tried to recommend solutions. His most recent change was to blow away
> his entire cvs tree and re-download it, on the assumption that it was
> not matching the main cvs tree somehow. Keith, did that fix the
> problem?

Hmm, probably I'll also try re-download cvs.

> I have just done the same, to make sure I am in sync, and everything
> still works as it should.
>
> What platform are people using. What failures? Are they consistent?
> Can someone give me telnet access to a machine that does not work?

Linux 2.1.117, libc-5.4.46, egcs-2.91.50. My development computer is
in home and I can't give you telnet account :-)
BTW, what's the best way to have several version of postgres on the
same computer ?

> Marc, does postgresql.org machine do initdb properly?
>
> Please report problems to me directly, and I will keep trying to find
> the cause.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> + If your life is a hard drive, | (610) 353-9879(w)
> + Christ can be your backup. | (610) 853-3000(h)

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83