Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: meskes(at)online-club(dot)de (Michael Meskes)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem
Date: 1998-08-23 18:17:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 07:06:43PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Just a quick question. Are people doing a make clean when updating via
> > cvs. My patch changed lots of system tables.
>
> Yes, I do.

OK, it appears people are still having initdb problems after my patch.
I have received several reports of problems. Someone reported a
regression test problem with contraints.sql. I could reproduce it here,
and fixed it.

The other problems with initdb itself are more difficult. People seem
to have a variety of initdb failures, and I am at a loss to find a
cause.

I realize this is a major problem, and I want to fix it as soon as I
can. I am running BSDI under Intel, and everything works fine, so I am
really confused.

First, people have to do a 'make clean', 'make', and 'initdb' after my
patch, but people are already doing that.

Keith Parks <emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> reported problems right away, and
I tried to recommend solutions. His most recent change was to blow away
his entire cvs tree and re-download it, on the assumption that it was
not matching the main cvs tree somehow. Keith, did that fix the
problem?

I have just done the same, to make sure I am in sync, and everything
still works as it should.

What platform are people using. What failures? Are they consistent?
Can someone give me telnet access to a machine that does not work?

Marc, does postgresql.org machine do initdb properly?

Please report problems to me directly, and I will keep trying to find
the cause.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026