Re: Slashdot article on PostgreSQL 7.3

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot article on PostgreSQL 7.3
Date: 2002-12-02 14:51:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

For those that don't want to wade through it all, here's a summary:

PostgreSQL fans (and facts) dominated the screen by far. Most of the MySQL
vs. PostgreSQL debate consisted of a MySQL person saying something, then a
well written response debunking the claims of the MySQL user. All in all it
was a pretty civilized debate.

The Oracle vs. PostgreSQL debate was alive as well. PostgreSQL beat out
Oracle at nearly every turn though. By far Oracle was the database that
PostgreSQL was compared to.

Other posts were "Hoorah it supports XXXXX!"

Of the feature requests, built-in replication as #1. Native win32 was #2 and
there were a few requests for a good forms system.

While reading the debate, the MySQL benchmarks were brought up. It is
apparent that we need to contact MySQL (even thought hey claim to have
contacted us first) and run through a proper benchmarking. We should do a
variety of tests that mimic what MySQL people get (i.e.. forget the foreign
key constraints) and them against MySQL in transaction safe and
non-transaction safe modes, along with PostgreSQL in all her glory.

Maybe things will change when we get native win32, but I'm surprised that
PostgreSQL isn't beating out MySQL on win32. You have to pay for a license
if you use the window's binaries, where PostgreSQL is completely free.