Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.

From: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.
Date: 2003-12-17 11:08:13
Lists: pgsql-general

paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk says...

> > X (I assume that what is meant here is MVCC?)

> One thing I couldn't find when looking at the FB on-line docs a week or
> two ago was anything like support for transaction isolation level
> serializable. Whilst the PG docs states taht its implementation of t.i.l.s
> is not quite to SQL spec, it is still very good as you don't need to lock
> rows with select ... for update. How does FB do in this respect?

To the best of my knowledge, FB does support serialisable transaction
level - I'm 95% sure that it does - will look into this and report back!

> > > Functional and Partial indexes
> No partial indexes? Get them to put it on their TODO list ;)

What, exactly, is a partial index? A functional index is an index on
something like ((ColumnX*2)/14)? I think the functional one (is that
also an expression index?) is on the way.

> BTW, has FB got an equivalent of PG sequences?

Yes - "Generators" - easy and simple.

Paul...

--

plinehan x__AT__x yahoo x__DOT__x com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.