Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.

From: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.
Date: 2003-12-17 11:02:32
Lists: pgsql-general

rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net says...

> > Ditto for FB. If you want to extend the code, though, you have to give
> > those changes back to the community - the licence is more GPL than BSD.

> maybe you need to clarify what you think of when you say "extensible".

> postgresql has sql extensions like "create type"; extensibility is possible
> w/o going into the source code. it sounds like you're talking about making
> changes to the firebird code base here.

I took the "extensible" bit from the URL that I posted

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/http://advocacy.postgresql.org
/advantages/

------------------
Extensible
The source code is available to all at no charge. If your staff have a
need to customise or extend PostgreSQL in any way then they are able to
do so with a minimum of effort, and with no attached costs. This is
complemented by the community of PostgreSQL professionals and
enthusiasts around the globe that also actively extend PostgreSQL on a
daily basis.

This seemed to me to be basically a touting of the virtues of PostgreSQL
being Open Source, which Firebird is also, but in a different way.

FB has the "CREATE DOMAIN url VARCHAR(100)" for example.

Paul...

--

plinehan x__AT__x yahoo x__DOT__x com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.