Basic Trigger Question

From: Aragorn <aragorn(at)gondor(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Basic Trigger Question
Date: 2002-11-08 17:00:25
Lists: pgsql-general

I've used triggers before in another DB where the total functionality
was included in the CREATE TRIGGER statement, totally written in SQL. I
understand that postgresql can't do that (correct?).

I want to delete a row in table 2 when I update table 1, with something
along the lines of :
CREATE TRIGGER mytrigger AFTER UPDATE ON table1
FOR EACH ROW
DELETE FROM table2
WHERE table1.id = table2.id

Afterwards I will re-insert any necessary info into table 2.

Can anyone help me with this?

TIA

ps If I need to use a function to do this, pls show me how to do the
same with a function.

--
Ron St.