Re: Win2K Questions

From: "Charles H(dot) Woloszynski" <chw(at)clearmetrix(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win2K Questions
Date: 2002-11-08 17:00:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton wrote:

>Depends on usage patterns and how you build your application. There are a
>couple of oddities with workarounds: count() and max() aren't very optimised
>for example.

You can 'fix' the max() SNAFU with a new query of the form
"select field from tbl limit 1 order by field desc" (not precise syntax, but the idea is correct)

I call it a SNAFU since it I hate to have to change queries from something obvious to a more obscure format just to work around an optimizer issue.

Not sure if there is an equivalent query to make count() work faster

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.