Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR

From: Brian Wipf <brian(at)clickspace(dot)com>
To: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR
Date: 2008-01-18 22:43:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18-Jan-08, at 2:32 PM, Erik Jones wrote:

> What worries me is, that since I have a verified case of rsync
> thinking it had successfully transferred a WAL, the same may have
> happened with these files during the base backup. Does that
> warning, in fact, entail that there were catalog entries for those
> files, but that the file was not there, and by "fixing" it the
> server just created empty files?

We archive WALs directly to an NFS mount. We once had a zero-byte WAL
file archived, which I believe was the result of a temporary issue
with the NFS mount. We had to perform a new base backup since the WAL
was deleted/reused by PG because it was told it was archived
successfully. It sounds similar to the problem you experienced. Do you
rsync to an NFS mount?

If this issue is occurring when archiving WALs, I agree that it could
be occurring when trying to get a base backup.

Brian Wipf
<brian(at)clickspace(dot)com>