Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR
Date: 2008-01-18 21:32:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 18, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> writes:
>> I recently started up a server created using PITR (exact detail
>> below) and received about 125 of these type of errors spanning pages
>> in about 10 different tables:
>
>> 2008-01-17 21:47:34 CST 7598 :WARNING: relation "table_name" page
>> 5728 is uninitialized --- fixing
>
> If you do a vacuum on the master, do you get the same warnings?

/me runs VACUUM VERBOSE on the two tables that would matter.

Nope. What worries me is, that since I have a verified case of rsync
thinking it had successfully transferred a WAL, the same may have
happened with these files during the base backup. Does that warning,
in fact, entail that there were catalog entries for those files, but
that the file was not there, and by "fixing" it the server just
created empty files?

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com