pgAdmin isn't quoting quotes

From: "Stephen Denne" <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: "pgAdmin Support" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgAdmin isn't quoting quotes
Date: 2007-10-17 22:39:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

(1.8RC1)

If for some unusual reason I want to use pgadmin to add a column named:

one "two" three

Then I am able to specify this identifier as

"one ""two"" three"

but pgadmin will always show it as

one "two" three

Which I think is ok, but it shows it in generated SQL as

"one "two" three"

instead of

"one ""two"" three"

So trying to change the column's type (for example) attempts this SQL:

ALTER TABLE dbversion ALTER "one "two" three" TYPE bigint;
ALTER TABLE dbversion ALTER COLUMN "one "two" three" SET STATISTICS -1;

If I alter the name again when changing the type, I get this instead:

ALTER TABLE dbversion RENAME "one "two" three" TO ""one ""two"" three"";
ALTER TABLE dbversion ALTER ""one ""two"" three"" TYPE bigint;
ALTER TABLE dbversion ALTER COLUMN ""one ""two"" three"" SET STATISTICS -1;

Which still doesn't work.

I don't think that this is a high priority bug, as those who use double quotes in identifiers probably deserve less than the level of quality that pgadmin already provides.

Stephen Denne

Disclaimer:
At the Datamail Group we value team commitment, respect, achievement, customer focus, and courage. This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If it is not intended for you please advise by reply immediately, destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.

This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/services/bqem.htm for details.