RE: pg_depend

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Alex Pilosov" <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pg_depend
Date: 2001-07-18 17:23:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For example, we would process the following step to drop a
column.

select ....(all columns except a column) from a into b;
drop table a;
alter table b rename to a;

But we would lose all relelvant objects.

Though we may be able to solve this problem by implementing
*drop column* properly, we couldn't solve this kind of problems
at once. In fact neither *drop column* nor *cluster* is solved.
We could always have (at least) the second best way by
allowing drop-and-recreate-with-same-name revival.

> The majority of the cases I've heard about where this would be useful
> are for functions, and we could solve that a lot better with an ALTER
> FUNCTION command that allows changing the function body (but not the
> name, arguments, or result type).
>
> BTW, name alone is not a good enough referent for functions... you'd
> have to store the argument types too.

??? Isn't an entry
pg_proc_relid
the oid of the function