Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-23 16:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Frost [mailto:sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net]
Sent: Fri 12/23/2005 2:42 PM
To: Martijn van Oosterhout
Cc: Greg Stark; Tom Lane; Christopher Kings-Lynne; Andrew Dunstan; Peter Eisentraut; pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org; Andreas Pflug; Dave Page

> There's also Kerberos, which I'm happy to say seems to be getting more
> and more use. I'd really like to get ODBC Kerberos working, at least
> with MIT kerberos and then maybe someday (if I can manage to get it
> working...) setup some cross-realm stuff with the Windows AD and SSPI
> (iirc) things and have ODBC use that to authenticate against my
> Linux-based PostgreSQL server.

psqlODBC & libpq already work well with MIT Kerberos on Windows as well as *nix. I believe Magnus has production systems running with a Linux based server authenticating against the AD.

AFAICR, the bit that doesn't work yet is server-side Kerberos on Windows, which just means you have to have the server running on *nix.

Regards, Dave