Re: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jochem van Dieten" <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pginstaller-devel(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available
Date: 2004-08-09 15:18:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Excellent, thanks for the report.

> > - Allow user selection of service ID (allowing multiple postmaster
> > services to be installed).
>
> Is it possible to install multiple instances from the installer?
> When I have installed the first instance and I execute the
> installer again it jumps to the last page and tells me
> installation is complete.

Not yet, but hopefully it will be in the future. There are two issues:

1) You can't change the port number yet.
2) The Windows Installer uses GUID's to detect identify features and
packages. We need to figure out the best way of making these unique to
each version (probably a little perl that just generates and inserts new
ones a build time).

Of course, even when that's done it will only be possible to install
instances of different versions - if you want multiple instances of the
same version, just initdb a new location and start a new postmaster on a
different port.

> > Download from:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1000007
>
> This download could become quite popular after the news of Beta1
> has hit pgsql-announce. It might be a good idea to set up a
> bittorrent tracker and / or use http://freecache.org/ when
> spreading the word.

When we go gold I'll put it up on the ftp mirror network (which is
accessible via Bittorrent).

Cheers, Dave.