Re: [Pginstaller-devel] RE: Win32 PostgreSQL

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, pginstaller-devel(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pginstaller-devel] RE: Win32 PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-08-09 17:33:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Dave Page wrote:

> Excellent, thanks for the report.
>

> Not yet, but hopefully it will be in the future. There are two issues:
>
> 1) You can't change the port number yet.

We'd want an automatic append of the port number in postgresql.conf, and
an information in the registry so pgadmin3 can detect it.
> Of course, even when that's done it will only be possible to install
> instances of different versions - if you want multiple instances of the
> same version, just initdb a new location and start a new postmaster on a
> different port.

IMHO it doesn't make sense to support different versions, but not
different clusters. initdb is *not* sufficient, the service information
has to be generated too and initdb doesn't know about that. For those
guys who need two clusters an installer option would be helpful. While I
don't really see what this is good for.. Former Oracle users might be
mislead, thinking they need it for multiple DBs.

>>>Download from:
>>>http://pgfoundry.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1000007
>>
>>This download could become quite popular after the news of Beta1
>>has hit pgsql-announce. It might be a good idea to set up a
>>bittorrent tracker and / or use http://freecache.org/ when
>>spreading the word.
>

> When we go gold I'll put it up on the ftp mirror network (which is
> accessible via Bittorrent).

Might be too late... let's see.