Re: Search (was: Web team meeting minutes)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Search (was: Web team meeting minutes)
Date: 2006-07-14 16:10:46
Lists: pgsql-www

It's entirely database /driven/, it's just the text index that's fs
based. We run a fork of the ASPSeek code which has a few improvements
over the official code including the XML data feed I mentioned, and
support for PostgreSQL (as opposed to MySQL or Oracle which the standard
code support).

> Does web team consider changing web site engine ? I suggest not to use
> home-made engines, since we have no power to support it, we
> do database
> development, and we don't want to depend on specific person. There are
> big open-source projects with stable, mature community and we could
> just add fts capability we need, for example, to Drupal.

Hmm, well, see JD's comments on Drupal. After many years of trying
different search engines, ASPSeek is by far the best we've found yet
which *doesn't* require lots of custom code, and can be relatively
easily managed by any one of us. I'd love for us to use Tsearch to do
it, but it seems to me we'd need far too much custom code that would
definitely be harder to manage.

So unless you're about to release pgGoogle 1.0...

:-)

Regards, Dave.