Re: pgAdmin III very slow if working on localhost

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Petr Bouda" <boudino(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III very slow if working on localhost
Date: 2006-05-30 12:30:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: Petr Bouda [mailto:boudino(at)gmail(dot)com]
Sent: 30 May 2006 12:41
To: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin III very slow if working
on localhost

I cannot. At leas, performance on large table while queriyng
seems adequate to size of the table. If still beleive that my propblem
is primary in pgAdmin and the way in which it works wtih database
metada.

I would like to know if it is common problem/behavior or it is
something wrong with my environment.

Almost certainly your environment, given that this is the first
complaint in a few hundred thousand downloads.

More specifically though, I suspect a problem with PostgreSQL rather
than pgAdmin because PostgreSQL's libpq library is responsible for all
network communication, and as you say it works fine with remote
databases that points to either a problem in the way that libpq is
talking to your local machine, or a problem with your local installation
of PostgreSQL.

How responsive is your local database when accessed from a remote
machine? Is it a personal development database on your desktop? If so,
it may just be that the server has cached all the data on the server,
thus is quite responsive, but on your local machine you are accessing
data for the first time since boot.

Regards, Dave.