Re: human validation on post comments

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL WWW" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: human validation on post comments
Date: 2006-03-21 16:54:24
Lists: pgsql-www

Generating enough real traffic to a dummy site to ensure that there is
always user ready to read a single capcha within a few minutes of it
being generated just to post a single piece of spam seems like a pretty
mean feat. I would think they could generate more revenue from bunging a
few ads on the site than hoping that the spam they manage to get on a
completely unrelated site might actually generate a customer. Still, I'm
only speculating so may be completely wrong.

> But apart from its ineffectiveness on spammers, as others have
> mentioned, capcha excludes blind people. :(

Yes - it's a shame none of us thought about it when Gevik was originally
working on it.

There is the audio option I suggested which Paypal use IIRC -
alternatively we could use some sort of puzzle - such as 'enter the
third, second from last and 2nd character from this string'.

Regards, Dave.