Re: human validation on post comments

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: human validation on post comments
Date: 2006-03-21 17:16:01
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:54:24PM -0000, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I see I didn't explain it well enough. Here's the flow:

1. Spammer generates spam and queues it up for sites.
2. A person arrives at the porn site.
3. The spam system generates a request including the spam to the
target site. Clock starts ticking.
4. The spam system presents the resulting capcha to the porn surfer.
Less than a second has elapsed.
5. Porn surfer types in the string as asked. Time elapsed is
probably still under 5 seconds.
6. Spam system sends the string to the target site. Time elapsed is
under 10 seconds for >90% of cases.

> I would think they could generate more revenue from bunging a few
> ads on the site than hoping that the spam they manage to get on a
> completely unrelated site might actually generate a customer. Still,
> I'm only speculating so may be completely wrong.

It's very cheap to set up such a system, and spammers routinely
expect--and profit from--"hit rates" that are less than one in a
million.

> > But apart from its ineffectiveness on spammers, as others have
> > mentioned, capcha excludes blind people. :(
>
> Yes - it's a shame none of us thought about it when Gevik was
> originally working on it.
>
> There is the audio option I suggested which Paypal use IIRC -
> alternatively we could use some sort of puzzle - such as 'enter the
> third, second from last and 2nd character from this string'.

That lends itself to exactly the same attack I sketched out above.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!