Re: Import from CSV - Questions

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joel Hainley" <joelh(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Import from CSV - Questions
Date: 2006-03-10 12:34:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

________________________________

From: pgadmin-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Joel Hainley
Sent: 09 March 2006 21:43
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-hackers] Import from CSV - Questions

Hello all,

I was looking over the todo list and noticed an item "import
from CSV".

I was wondering if there was more information about what the
thoughts were behind this item?

- Are you looking to be able to import a csv file into a single
table?
- Multiple tables?
- Any examples exist out there for other dbms tools that this
idea was inspired by?

To be honest I didn't realise it was there. The tool I have in mind for
more general data movement is a simplified version of something like
Microsoft's DTS, essentially with input, transform and output modules.
The input modules might get data from ODBC or a CSV file for example,
the transform module would allow either straight mapping of source to
target columns, and (probably) python based transformation for more
complex stuff, and the output module would insert the data into
PostgreSQL, a CSV file or and ODBC data source etc.

That is clearly a complex project though... An alternative might be a
simple wizard, activated by a 'load data' option on the table context
menu

Magnus was also talkng about XML export (and import?) so perhaps he has
some ideas.

Obviously i'm new to the project but i'd like to try to dig in
and give a hand, and thought this might be something I could lend a hand
with.

Great - we're happy to work with new developers whenever we can.

Regards, Dave