Re[3]: Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)

From: el dorado <do_ra_do(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re[3]: Build PG 8.4 (MinGW vs. MSVC)
Date: 2009-09-29 13:28:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> > > What is recommended now for building PG 8.4 for WinXP? Is it better to use MSVC compiler?>
> Regards, Marina.
>
> > MingW is perfectly supported, and we know people use it.
> > MSVC is the recommended one I'd say, mainly because that's how the
> > official binaries are built, so the results are much more well-tested.
> > Magnus Hagander
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
> According to your recommendation I try to use MSVC as described here http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/install-win32-full.html.
> I configure options in config.pl and run build. I don't build from CVS and I know from documentation that "Bison and Flex are required to build from CVS, but not required when building from a release file". But I get the error:
>
> Done building project "pgsql.sln" -- FAILED
> Build FAILED.
> Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error from "Running bison on src\interfaces\ecpg\preproc\preproc.y"
> 0 Warning(s)
> 1 Error(s)
> Maybe I should set some other options in configuration files? I didn't find any information about it in documentation... :(
> Regards, Marina.

Hello!
Maybe this information will be useful for someone.
I built PG 8.4.1 by MSVC as discribed in documentation (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/install-win32-full.html) without bison and flex. But it was a little bit tricky. I simply cleared the file pgbison.bat. It was empty and there was no attempts to call bison. So I escaped the error mentioned some lines upper.
However it seems to me some regular way to do it should exist. But I don't see the way. I wonder if I really missed some important parameter in configuration? Or my method is correct? :)
Thanks in advance, Marina.