Re: Postgresql Windows ODBC

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Windows ODBC
Date: 2005-04-22 13:31:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 22, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com wrote:

> Tonight I shall install the Postgresql ODBC driver which I downloaded,
> and experiment.
>
> Is anyone using ODBC?  I was looking at Realbasic standard edition
> (not professional), and thinking of downloading the demo and trying it
> with the ODBC.  Anyone here use Realbasic at all?
>
> In Windows, what would you say is the easiest language to use which
> can talk to Postgresql? Just curious....    e.g. I have Liberty Basic
> which is very easy, but does not easily support ODBC...
>
> Is anyone working with some form of Python on Windows.  I downloaded
> Python, but it seems to run only in some DOS window. I mentioned this
> on a Dreamcard/Revolution board, and they said "Oh, you want PYTHON
> CARD."
>
> Anyway, I would be interested to learn of an easy language which can
> access Postgresql, together with some decent examples or tutorials to
> get me going.  I have a feeling that Realbasic will do the trick.

My take is that the professional version is well worth the extra $300
if you are really serious about doing database development. It has
support for PostgreSQL and a lot of other databases already included.
If I was developing an application for some one else to use, ODBC would
be my last choice because of the configuration and setup hassles.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL