Re: Postgresql Windows ODBC

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Windows ODBC
Date: 2005-04-22 13:59:33
Lists: pgsql-general

In my opinion the easiest language for any database development is
Borland Delphi bar NONE.
You can get the pro version for for 499.99 as a upgrade or a personal
editon is also available for free or little cost.
You might even be able to get a copy of Delphi 7 on ebay for much less.

For Postgres development I use the Zeos components(www.zeoslib.net) and
PostgresDAC(www.micoolap.com).

Here is a quick example of how to execute a query with params in Delphi
with a tdataset compatible query component.

myquery.clear;
myquery.add('select firstname from companyinfo where lastname = :PARAM1');
parambyname('PARAM1').asstring:= 'smith';
myquery.open;

At this point if you have bound the query to a grid you will see the
data, or you could loop through the result set like this:

myquery.first;
while not myquery.eof do
begin
showmessage(myquery.fieldbyname('firstname').asstring);
myquery.next;
end;

The above code also works on Oracle, MS SQL, Mysql, DB2 etc etc as long
as you use a tdataset compatible component set.

I have used C#, VB.net and VB classic and NONE of them are as easy and
intuitive to use for database development as Delphi NONE.

Delphi 2005 also includes Delphi.net and C# along with native win32
development in pascal, you can also use the Kylix with the Zeos
components for development on Linux, and while there has not been a
update to Kylix in awhile, it still works great.

You can do lots more stuff with Delphi as well, just about anything you
could do in C or C++ minus device drivers.

Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
Home of PG Lightning Admin for Postgresql 8.x
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com