Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server
Date: 2015-03-02 20:23:50
Lists: pgsql-www

Alvaro,

On Monday, March 2, 2015, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > Having a curated list of active PUGs (where "active" is at least one
> > meeting every other month, in my view..) and links to information about
> > them would be good, but mailing lists are not that.
>
> Actually we do have a list, curated (mostly) by Jon Katz. What is wrong
> with that? Is that not backing enough from the postgresql.org website
> to PUGs?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/

Check the first few links. That is the list I was referring to as not being
curated and current...

I don't mean to point fingers at Jonathan or anyone else but that list has
serious issues.

Now, if PUG organizers could update the list with new events and it was
sorted by event or something along those lines then maybe it'd be kept
current, but my preference would be to have that list linked into meetup
for the groups that use meetup somehow and maybe G+ for groups that use
that and the sorting by date of post would mean inactive groups would
naturally be hidden...

Thanks!

Stephen