Re: Setting visibility map in VACUUM's second phase

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting visibility map in VACUUM's second phase
Date: 2013-01-24 09:11:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, December 7, 2012, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

Revised patch attached. This time much less invasive. I added a new
> function heap_page_is_all_visible() to check if the given page is
> all-visible and also return the visibility cutoff xid.

Hi Pavan,

lazy_vacuum_page now pins and unpins the vmbuffer for each page it marks
all-visible, which seems like a lot of needless traffic since the next
vmbuffer is likely to be the same as the previous one.

Could it instead get vmbuffer passed down to it from the two calling sites?
(One call site would have to have it introduced, just for this purpose,
the other should be able to use its existing one.)

Cheers,

Jeff