Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation
Date: 2015-09-22 04:55:44
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
> I think this compulsive 'he'-avoiding is making the text worse.
>

> - environment variable); any user can make such a change for his
> session.
> + environment variable); any user can make such a change for their
> session.

-1. It seems fine to me.

> Yuck. even worse:
>
> - might not be the same as the database user he needs to connect as.
> + might not be the same as the database user that is to be connect as.
>

> It is not an improvement. I would like to see this change rolled back.

I think that this should be reworded, since there is a grammatical
error as things stand. I suggest the whole sentence be modified to
read:

When using an external authentication system such as Ident or GSSAPI,
the name of the operating system user that initiated the connection
might not be the same as the intended corresponding database user.

--
Peter Geoghegan