Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bráulio Bhavamitra <brauliobo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?
Date: 2016-04-22 22:03:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:08 AM, Bráulio Bhavamitra <brauliobo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm finally having performance issues with PostgreSQL when doing big
> analytics queries over almost the entire database of more than 100gb of
> data.
>
> And what I keep reading all over the web is many databases switching to
> columnar store (RedShift, Cassandra, cstore_fdw, etc) and having great
> performance on queries in general and giant boosts with big analytics
> queries.
>
> I wonder if there is any plans to move postgresql entirely to a columnar
> store (or at least make it an option), maybe for version 10?
>
> The current extensions are rather limited (types support for example) and
> require quite some configuration and data migration to work, besides they
> don't work in services like AWS RDS.

Column stores are better at one case (selecting a few columns from a
very wide table) and worse at just about every other case. Also,
beware database benchmarks -- as they say, there is no free lunch
There is a reason why databases store things in rows.

Analytics in traditional postgres tables is definitely possible, but
you have to be smart.

merlin