Re: Slow Count-Distinct Query

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christopher Jackson <crjackso(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow Count-Distinct Query
Date: 2014-04-02 00:34:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Christopher Jackson <crjackso(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> tl;dr - How can I speed up my count-distinct query?

Depending on how often you need to run that query and how important it is
to you, if you are willing to accept a performance hit on
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE of the "participants" table, you could create a
summary table containing just the count of unique email addresses or the
list of unique email addresses populated via trigger on
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE of the participants table. Another option is try out
the new Materialized views (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-creatematerializedview.html)
available in 9.3.