Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views

From: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views
Date: 2014-04-29 14:29:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "Marko Tiikkaja" <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to> writes:
> > Here's the third version of this patch, hopefully this time without any
> > problems. I looked through the patch and it looked OK, but I did that
> > last time too so I wouldn't trust myself on that one.
>
> Applied with corrections.
>
> The xml expected output was still wrong - to do that part right, you
> need to update xml.out with an xml-enabled build and xml_1.out with a
> non-xml-enabled build.
>
> Also, it seemed to me that the patch didn't go far enough, in that it
> only touched pg_get_viewdef and not the sister functions. pg_dump would
> certainly want pg_get_ruledef to have the same behavior, and in general
> the documentation seems to me to be clear that all these functions have
> similar pretty-print-vs-not behavior. As committed, the pretty_bool
> argument only affects PRETTY_PAREN processing for all of them.
>
> I also went ahead and set the default wrap column to zero rather than
> the former 79, since it seemed clear that people like that behavior
> better.
>
> regards, tom lane
>

> --

Was this ever committed into core? Apologies, I'm not very familiar with
looking through the commit history of the source code and I don't see
anything about this option or pretty-print outputs in the pg_dump/restore
docs for 9.3. Had someone asking me about this feature for pg_extractor

https://github.com/omniti-labs/pg_extractor/issues/28

--
Keith Fiske
Database Administrator