Re: psql tabcomplete - minor bugfix - tabcomplete for SET ROLE TO xxx

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql tabcomplete - minor bugfix - tabcomplete for SET ROLE TO xxx
Date: 2015-05-29 07:41:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world: not tested
> Implements feature: tested, passed
> Spec compliant: tested, passed
> Documentation: not tested
>
> I agree with Peter that "We don't tab-complete everything we possibly
> could", but using tabs after "SET ROLE TO " provides "DEFAULT" as an option
> which seems wrong.
> This patch adds list of roles over there, which I guess good to have than
> giving something unusual.

Surely, we cannot to support tab-complete everywhere. But if we can do it
simply, we should to do it. Why:

1. It is good help for beginners

2. I am PostgreSQL lecture and evangelist in Czech Republic and Slovak
Republic. The tabcomplete possibility is surprisingly good factor for
accepting PostgreSQL concept, architecture, psql

But back to this topic. I am thinking so it is little bit different due
fact so we support two very syntax for one feature. And looks little bit
strange, so one way is supported by autocomplete and second not.

> I reviewed this straight forward patch and looks good to me.
>
> Since we might not want this, review is done and thus passing it to
> committer to decide.

ok

> The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

Thank you very much

Regards

Pavel