Re: psql tabcomplete - minor bugfix - tabcomplete for SET ROLE TO xxx

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql tabcomplete - minor bugfix - tabcomplete for SET ROLE TO xxx
Date: 2015-07-02 09:03:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/29/2015 10:41 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>> I agree with Peter that "We don't tab-complete everything we possibly
>> could", but using tabs after "SET ROLE TO " provides "DEFAULT" as an option
>> which seems wrong.
>> This patch adds list of roles over there, which I guess good to have than
>> giving something unusual.

> But back to this topic. I am thinking so it is little bit different due
> fact so we support two very syntax for one feature. And looks little bit
> strange, so one way is supported by autocomplete and second not.

Yeah, it's a bit strange. We have a specific autocomplete rule for "SET
ROLE", but "SET ROLE TO" is treated as a generic GUC. With your patch,
we'd also lose the auto-completion to "SET ROLE TO DEFAULT".

I think we want to encourage people to use the SQL-standard syntax "SET
ROLE ..." rather than the PostgreSQL-specific "SET ROLE TO ...". On the
whole, this just doesn't seem like much of an improvement. I'll mark
this as 'rejected' in the commitfest app.

PS. I note that the auto-completion for "SET XXX TO ... is pretty lousy
in general. We have rules for DateStyle, IntervalStyle, GEQO and
search_path, but that's it. That could be expanded a lot. All enum-type
GUCs could be handled with a single rule that queries
pg_settings.enumvals, for example, and booleans would be easy too. But
that's a different story.

- Heikki