pg_stat_replication log positions vs base backups

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_stat_replication log positions vs base backups
Date: 2015-11-25 09:19:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Are the values for the log locations really relevant for backup
connections? And if they are, we need to document it :) ISTM we are just
more or less leaking random data out there?

I'm talking about the actual state=backup connection - not the connection
if we're using -x with pg_basebackup. Where we have output like:

state | backup
sent_location | 0/0
write_location | 2/76CE0000
flush_location | 2/76CC0000
replay_location | 2/76CBF938

I'm thinking those fields should probably all be NULL for state=backup?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/