Re: BUG #15706: Support Services page out of date

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, jtara-github(at)spamex(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #15706: Support Services page out of date
Date: 2019-03-24 17:50:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-www

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:20 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> On 3/20/19 7:11 PM, Euler Taveira wrote:
> > Em qua, 20 de mar de 2019 às 17:12, Jonathan S. Katz
> > <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> escreveu:
> >>
> >> I did an audit of it a few years back, we are due for another one (and
> >> something on my TODO for this year). When I did the audit, it took
> >> several weeks to review all of the listings, so without additional help,
> >> "every x months" is not reasonable.
> >>
> > Jonathan, I appreciate your effort. I'm suggesting an automated way to
> > check the list (send an URL by email for confirmation). If there is no
> > response, stop to show that company. Company can always enable it
> > again. Periodic notification can encourage companies to keep their
> > info up to date. I'm not volunteering to do the work.
>
> Some of the pgweb folks have discussed doing that before; it's not a bad
> idea, and perhaps would cut down on some of the headaches.

That was in fact the original plan, nobody just got around to building it.
There was even a db field for it in the early dev snapshots, but it was
removed since it was never quite done.

The general idea was to just have a "last confirmed" timestamp field on
each entry, and just stop showing any entries that have not been confirmed
in <n> days/weeks/months/whatever. We can keep them around some extra time
beyond that in case people come back to update them later of course.

If we went down that route, I think we would want to borrow from some of
> the pgeu codebase, which I believe has reminder infrastructure set up,
> and then apply it to this. If we went down this path, it'd be good to
> apply it to products in the software catalog as well.

I think we pretty much have all the needed parts already. All that's needed
is a "last reminded" field along with the "last onfirmed" one above, and
decide on a schedule between those two for sending reminders.

Oh, and +1 for doing the same for products.

--
Magnus Hagander