Re: Suggestion: include interruption method for \watch option (page 1922, PostgreSQL 11.1 Documentation)

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: rodrigo_de_carlos(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: include interruption method for \watch option (page 1922, PostgreSQL 11.1 Documentation)
Date: 2019-01-24 12:25:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:33 AM <rodrigo_de_carlos(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I used the \watch option in psql and couldn’t stop the loop until I found the way* using ctrl-c. I am new to programming, and perhaps using ctrl-c is standard practice, but in a future manual perhaps you should replace the text below ‘until interrupted’ with ‘until interrupted (using ctrl-c)’.

Ctrl-C, AFAIK, sends the INT(errupt) signal in *ix, which normally
stops looping things. That's the standard way to interrupt long
running commands, send them the interrupt signal.

I haven't read the relevant sources, but my bet is psql is catching
int in *ix to do that ( it does it for other things ).

IIRC windows does similar stuff, although I think Ctrl-break had to be
used, but I haven't used it since the dawn of the century.

That ( knowing how to interrput things ) is not a programming, but a
basic OS - user issue.

Francisco Olarte.