Re: Do we need so many hint bits?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Do we need so many hint bits?
Date: 2012-11-16 01:26:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 November 2012 19:42, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> many of the hint bits aren't terribly important

The truth is that nobody knows because there is no way of knowing.

A good way forwards would be to collect detailed stats by table. We
can then run various loads and see if any of this is worthwhile.

I'm sure we'd learn enough to understand how to optimise things.

track_hints?
track_buffers?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/