Re: memory tuning

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory tuning
Date: 2006-06-21 15:33:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 6/21/06 10:55 AM, "Tom Allison" <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net> wrote:

> Well, I did find a number of problems with the database that took all
> night to fix.
>
> I had to REINDEX and then VACUUM FULL ANALYZE again just to make sure
> that there indexes were valid.
>
> But when all this is going on, there is very little memory use (<4%). I
> assumed that using more memory was proportional to getting things done
> faster.

It can be, but we don't know what tasks you are trying to get done. Also,
we don't know how you are using your database. If you are the only user,
then your memory settings can be different than if you are expecting 100
simultaneous connections. All that said, try this site (or any one of
several google hits) or the postgres documentation on performance tuning:

http://revsys.com/writings/postgresql-performance.html