Re: Documents Database - HELP

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Christo Romberg <coromberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documents Database - HELP
Date: 2006-06-21 15:32:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Jun 21, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Christo Romberg wrote:

> I'm interested in creating a document database for my personal
> documents. I use different operating systems (UNIX/Linux, Windows
> XP). Using PostgreSQL, Apache HTTP Server, and PHP I could create a
> cross-platform solution.
> I'm a newbie to PostgreSQL, web servers, and PHP and would really
> need some help and guidelines for getting this done. That's why I'm
> writing You brilliant guys this e-mail =)!

I hope you have a few spare years to write this from scratch :).

Here are two possible routes to getting this accomplished in a timely
fashion:

1. Use a content management system. For example, I like Drupal
(http://drupal.org) which already has a module for uploading and
managing files. It is written in PHP and supports PostgreSQL. Once
you have it installed and going you can write your own module to
extend the capabilities for any additional features you need.

2. Look into WebDAV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV, http://
www.webdav.org/). It uses HTTP to present an interface that works
like a file system. There are clients on every operating system that
allow you to remotely manage documents as if it was just another
network drive.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL