Re: converting Oracle scripts to PostgreSQL

From: "Clint Stotesbery" <cstotes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Gary(dot)Broadbent(at)gtnet(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: converting Oracle scripts to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-01-25 18:39:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Gary,
I went through a conversion from Oracle to PostgreSQL about 9 months ago.

There's a little bit of documentation in the PostgreSQL manual
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/plpgsql-porting.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactiveplpgsql-porting.html

I had ment to submit docs to the manual but never got around to it since
they could definately be expanded. The biggest issues I had for my project
was that there were no statement level triggers and you couldn't do instead
of triggers on views if my memory serves correct. plpgsql is really similar
to Oracle plsql and in many cases you don't need to even change syntax. I
could even you send the work I did since it was for school if you are
interested.

The reference manual for plpgsql can be found at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/plpgsql.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql.html

Installing procedural languages:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/xplang.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/xplang.html

triggers:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/triggers.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/triggers.html

rules:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/rules.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/rules.html

sql command syntax (for scripts):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-commands.html
or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-commands.html

Also try searching the mailing here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/

You will probably find many of my old posts when I was converting Oracle to
PostgreSQL. Hope this helps you get started.
-Clint