Re: More than one pg_database entry for database

From: "James Wilford" <jwilford(at)mistral(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More than one pg_database entry for database
Date: 2007-07-06 09:09:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: 05 July 2007 19:17
To: Alvaro Herrera
Cc: James Wilford; pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] More than one pg_database entry for database

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> As far as getting out of the situation, the only really good answer
>> is a dump and reload. I can't think of any simple way of getting rid

>> of the bogus row, but what you should be able to do to let pg_dump
>> work is to rename misp to something else. You can rename it back
>> after getting through the dump/reload, of course.

> Or roll the XID counter back, vacuum the table, and restore the XID to

> the original value. This is done with pg_resetxlog, though I am not
> sure if we shipped it in 7.3.

That seems fairly hazardous, in particular there might be undesirable
side-effects on other system catalogs while you are running with the
set-back XID counter.

Also, I see no very good reason to assume that this is the only
wraparound problem present in the DB. A dump and reload would probably
be useful to help check for other inconsistencies.

regards, tom lane

I'd like to try the dump and reload - the only problem is that I can't
use pg_dump because of the error. And I can't rename the entry in
pg_database because my update statement won't match any rows.

I'm going to set up a test box with the same OS/PG version and try
copying the raw data across from the data directory. It looks like the
only option at the moment. And then I'll definitely upgrade!

Thanks,

James