Re: What popular, large commercial websites run

From: Steve Lane <slane(at)fmpro(dot)com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>, ARP <arnaud(dot)mlist1(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What popular, large commercial websites run
Date: 2002-04-30 03:23:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/29/02 9:58 AM, "Fran Fabrizio" <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com> wrote:

>> Hi, I think this may also be interesting for the mailing list then :
>> this is a copy of a message found in this list a few days or weeks
> ago. >I kept it because I thought it might be useful some day :-)
>> Arnaud
>
> Yes, this message was originally posted to this very same mailing list. =)
>
> It's good information, but again not the type for presenting to
> management. Andrew Sullivan does weigh in (he's the .info guy) but
> other than that it's a lot of "we're not in production yet", "we use it
> for our smaller clients", or things like the "regional foundation for
> contemporary art" in France, which although interesting and good to
> know, does not excite management.
>
> When I say it would be nice to have some large commercial corporations
> to reference, I mean like Fortune 1000 companies or at least companies
> business types have heard about. They want to be able to say "If it's
> good enough for IBM and Ford Motor Co., it's good enough for us." It's
> frustrating and stupid and the wrong way to think about things, but they
> are the ones who make the decisions and so we have to speak their
> language. They want name recognition.
>
> I'm sure Pg is being used in some of these companies, but we just don't
> know about it. That info that was just posted about US Federal Govt
> agencies using it was great, by the way. Thanks!

We are using Pg as the back end for two quite significant educational
applications. One is in production, one still in development. That in
production is a system to track the special education population of a large
Midwestern state -- not a huge application in terms of data, but huge in
terms of criticality. It is in pilot now, and is slowly being rolled out to
the rest of the state. Ultimately it will track dozens of pages of
documentation for each of the state's 40K special ed students.

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President
Chris Moyer Consulting, Inc.
833 West Chicago Ave Suite 203

Voice: (312) 433-2421 Email: slane(at)fmpro(dot)com
Fax: (312) 850-3930 Web: http://www.fmpro.com