Re: 9.1 Beta

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.1 Beta
Date: 2011-03-26 09:22:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> The sooner we declare Beta, the sooner people will test. Then we will
>> have user feedback, bugs to fix etc.. Everybody is very clearly
>> sitting idle. With a longer bug list we will make faster progress to
>> release. We're just wasting time.
>
> I can't resist observing that if you want beta to happen sooner, it
> would be better not to commit major and largely unreviewed patches
> three weeks after the end of the last CommitFest.  Before you insist
> that it was reviewed, the version that was actually committed bore so
> little resemblance to the versions that were posted earlier that any
> earlier review that was done was basically meaningless in terms of
> ensuring that the final product was bug free, and it wasn't and isn't.
>  I complained *repeatedly* about the need to get both collation
> support and sync rep finished and committed sooner, for exactly this
> reason.  We are now reaping the entirely predictable fruit of having
> failed to make that happen.  But for those two patches, we would
> likely be in beta already, or darn close.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg01257.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-01/msg01209.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-01/msg02811.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-02/msg00438.php

There are two responses to your comments.

First, you are presuming that the state of those patches must hold up
the whole release process. I don't think it should. You want to see it
finished before it goes to Beta. I want to see wider input before we
consider it finished. In your way of seeing it, you have great input
into the decision of what is finished or not. I prefer to open things
up to a wider audience, who don't normally get a say until too late.

Yes, you do send a great many very long emails and many of them are
complaints. If I had read every single word of the many you've written
we would be delayed even further. Debating minor points endlessly does
not move the world forwards it just delays it. You should trust more
that if your points are valid that they will be brought up by another
sometime soon.