Re: 9.1 Beta

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.1 Beta
Date: 2011-03-26 14:31:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> First, you are presuming that the state of those patches must hold up
> the whole release process. I don't think it should

There's not much point in releasing a beta with behaviour that we know
we intend to change. All it will do is elicit bug reports that we have
to respond to saying "we know, we were going to change that anyways".

I think the goal of a beta is to be able to say "we think this is the
final behaviour of the next release but we're open to feedback".

Once we release the final release we're pretty stuck with the
behaviour unless the problems are severe enough to justify changing
it. And before the beta, in the alpha releases then it's clear to
users that they're seeing work in progress and is most appropriate for
people who are already following -hackers.

--
greg