Re: table partition or index

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: table partition or index
Date: 2010-06-14 21:01:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM, AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> For how many records I should go for a table partition instead of using just
> Any idea please.

I concur with Stephen. We tend to split our tables when they exceed
100 million rows *if* they are experiencing performance issues, and
target them to be no more than 10 million rows each after expected
growth over the next few years.

I have one table that is very hot that is about 70 million rows I'd
like to partition, but it has many FK's pointing to it, which
complicates it considerably.