Re: UI Addition Request. View Data > View BOTTOM 100 Rows

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Matt Janssen <matt(at)luggagepros(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UI Addition Request. View Data > View BOTTOM 100 Rows
Date: 2010-08-12 20:20:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Matt Janssen <matt(at)luggagepros(dot)com> wrote:
> Presently pgAdmin tables have a right-click context menu option "View Data >
> View Top 100 Rows".
>
> More often than wanting to see the oldest data, we want to view the newest
> data. I propose an addition or change that allows for "View Bottom 100
> Rows." This option would mimic the existing functionality, except that the
> sort order would be descending.
>
> Thoughts? I apologize if I'm bothering the wrong people on this.

"Top" just means the first 100 returned by an unordered select query.
They're actually in a completely arbitrary order, as that's how
Postgres stores them, so "bottom" doesn't really make any sense. We
don't make any attempt to order, as we have no idea what makes sense
for any particular table - you can specify your own ordering in the
filter/sort dialog of course.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com