Re: BUG #5807: psql fails to launch with "Cannot read termcap database; using dumb terminal settings. Aborted"

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Gabe Nell <gabe(at)kikini(dot)com>
Cc: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5807: psql fails to launch with "Cannot read termcap database; using dumb terminal settings. Aborted"
Date: 2011-01-07 10:32:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Gabe Nell <gabe(at)kikini(dot)com> wrote:
>> If you install libtermcap then it will start working good. We have
>> tested it at our end.
>
> Thanks Dharmendra, however in Ubuntu there is no package called
> libtermcap, though it has been suggested that the libncurses5-dev
> package provides this [1]. However I tried this and I still get the
> same error. Do you know the exact Ubuntu package that I need to
> install?

Apparently my colleague downloaded and installed a tarball of GNU
termcap 1.3.1.

I'm still not clear how this passed our internal testing though; I'm
guessing the QA test VMs do have some package on them which includes
termcap. Continuing the investigation...

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company