Re: RSS should contain URL to source code

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Martin Atukunda <matlads(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RSS should contain URL to source code
Date: 2010-10-07 16:36:18
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 15:32, Martin Atukunda <matlads(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The most recent releases for postgresql are available via RSS URL
> http://www.postgresql.org/versions.rss. This RSS feed is already very
> useful (the link for each entry points to the release notes for that
> release of postgresql)
>
> But the description of each item on the RSS feed is simply the text
>
> -- 8< --
> MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE is the latest release in the MAJOR.MINOR series.
> -- >8 --
>
> I'd like to propose that the description be extended a little to
> include the URL from which to download the source code. Something like
> this:
>
> -- 8< --
> MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE is the latest release in the MAJOR.MINOR series.
>
> Grab it from here:
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/vMAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE/postgresql-MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE.tar.gz
> -- >8 --

Why the source, and not binaries? And once we open that can of work,
there'll be lots of it. I guess we could add a link to
http://www.postgresql.org/download, but I have a feeling the part
you're after is not to have to browse but get directly to the correct
version?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/